Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Book Review: The Christmas Box



Firstly, let me say WoWuh! I can't believe how my life has changed. I used to be able to come here and blog so frequently and over the last few months, I just haven't had the time. Maybe into January I will be able to dedicate more time here. As the primaries start rolling around, I will have so much to say...well I already do, but not enough time to say it. LOL! At any rate, I am still participating in Fall into Reading 2007 over at Callapidder Days. I have a few book reviews to add, but only time to post one today. So, without further ado....






The Christmas Box Collection, by Richard Paul Evans
A Review
This is a collection of three works by Richard Paul Evans that are centered around some amazing life experiences he and his wife have had the opportunity to be a part of. The opening story ("The Christmas Box") is the story of how he and his wife met Mary Anne and her influence on their lives. She offered Richard the ability to see and cherish life in a way he (and we all can) overlook. Touching and poignant, this is the story that had me wanting to read on.

The next story is that of the "Timepiece." As I begin this read, I wasn't certain I would be able to get into the plot. Yet, I found midway that I was unable to put the story to rest. I was internally urged to get to the ending. After having read the entire book, this was my least favorite of the the three stories, but that in no way implies that this story is not worth your time. This is the story of the love affair of Mary Anne. It is not to be missed or overlooked as it adds to the intensity of the setting of the third story, "The Letter."

"The Letter" is by far my favorite in this book. I was riveted. I cried, I laughed, I was angered, I was in awe, I clenched my teeth. I wanted to be a better person. This is unlike any story I have read before, because it is not a fairy tale by any stretch. I really do not want to say much about the storyline, but I will say Mary Anne was one amazing and strong woman!

Overall Rating: ****

These are my thoughts.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ho Boltbabe! I was out of commission for awhile, but I have a new blog and I hope you will take time out to visit. Instead of the old site Beth Allen, this one is called Beth Allen II (I'm a simple gal at heart).